Welcome to the website of Leasingham Village Hall.
Leasingham has been fortunate in having a community building since 1912 when the Leasingham Reading Room was opened. The building was thanks to the generosity of Mrs Laura Jessop who lived in Leasingham Hall and donated the funds to build a meeting place for villagers.
Laura was the eldest daughter of Charles Sharpe the owner of Sharpe’s Seeds and a wealthy Corn Merchant. She married Augustus Leverton Jessop in May 1890. Augustus and Laura lived in Leasingham Hall from 1890 until 1912 when they moved to Lexham Hall in Mitford, Norfolk.
In 1957 the timber Reading Room was replaced by a brick built Village Hall on land donated by local resident John Banks (known as Lom). This hall was the hub of village life for the next 40 years and is remembered fondly by the people of Leasingham as a meeting room and venue for regular groups such as WI, Bingo nights and Brownies. The annual Pantomime and village fete became traditions and were highlights in the village year.
In honour of the original benefactor the Jessop Room was named and a plaque in her honour placed on the wall. For a number of years the village playgroup met daily in the Jessop Room.
During the 1990s the village hall was in need of repair or renovation and the decision was made to raise funds for a complete new building. Thanks to amazing fundraising by villagers and awards from The National Lotteries Charity Board, NKDC, Countryside Agency, Lincs County Council and Leasingham Parish Council the village hall was opened by John Banks' great granddaughter Chloe on 4 December 1999. The new hall is a tribute to everyone involved in the community buildings since 1912 and is extremely popular as a venue for parties, meetings, weddings, dances, local classes and other community events.
Leasingham Village Hall is run by a management committee of dedicated volunteers who all live in the village and are proud of the hall they represent.
Registered Charity Number: 504516
Please check out our News page for the latest Village Hall news.